Hi everyone! My name is Kim Mayes and I have been a photographer and dog trainer in Brevard County, Florida for almost 25 years now. I am dedicated to my furry family members, who have really built me into the photographer and trainer I am today.
My love for animals started at a very early age. I started working with horses and began training and giving riding lessons as a pre-teen. It was here that I really started delving into any knowledge I could find on animal behavior and to my passion for capturing these beautiful creatures through a lens. Weekends were filled with shows and competitions and in between rides you could always catch me wandering around the show grounds taking pictures of every critter, big or small I could find.
As I worked my way through school, working vet tech jobs, in zoos and dog training at facilities across Brevard, I developed my skills as a professional dog trainer and expert in animal behavior. It is through my work as a trainer, that I discovered just how important it is when you are behind the lens, to be extremely knowledgeable in the art of reading an animal’s body language and behaviors to get that perfect shot.
I know personally that my pets are a huge part of my life. They have been with me through the best of times and the worst of times and they are my family. The memories we have together, of pets both present and past, that have been captured through photographs are my most prized possessions. Wether it is bringing home a brand new puppy, daily training routines, achieving Championship titles or those precious last days before a loved one crosses the Rainbow Bridge, they are priceless and I can’t think of a better gift to give my clients than helping them preserve those happy memories with their own fur friends.
Currently, I live with my 4 beautiful dogs Rocket (Husky/Malamute), SuperNova (Siberian Husky), Spirit (Siberian Husky) and Loki (Chinese Crested Dog) and 2 Russian Tortoises, Rosie and Rudy. The dogs have all been involved in a variety of dog sports and are all Champion or Grand Champion Trick & Stunt Dogs. Some of them even hold world records and have been on the big screen!
I have accomplished many accreditations over the years. Here are a few:
currently I am one of only 3 photographers in the United States to earn this title.
- Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CPDT-KA)
- Proud member of the Pet Professional Guild
- Dr. Ian Dunbar’s SIRIUS Dog Training Academy Graduate
- Dr. Ian Dunbar’s Growl Class (Reactive Dog Training) and Reliability Games Graduate
- You can learn more information about Dr. Dunbar and gain some wonderful downloads from his website at Dog Star Daily
- Karen Pryor Academy Graduate – Dog Sport Essentials (KPA-DSE)
- Certified Trick Dog Instructor (CTDI) also on CTDI Advisory Board, Spark Team Instructor and 3 time All-Star Trainer of the Year
- Certified Stunt Dog Judge
- Animal Actors Certified Evaluator (AACE)
- Certified Scent Work Instructor (DN-FSG)
- CPR, First Aid & Safety Certified by Melanie Monteiro/TheSafeDog.com
- AKC Evaluator for Puppy STAR, Canine Good Citizen, CGCA, CGCU and Temperament Testing
- And more!
Kim Mayes is also a published author, celebrated in the dog training community. She has written and photographed for a variety of publications including Pup Culture Magazine and was a Dog Expert Writer for YourDogAdvisor.com. Her books “Obedience Game Changers”, “Getting Braver: Tricks & Games for Your Fearful Dog” and “Hyper Dog 101” are now available on Amazon. Click on their links to order your copies today!
So, that is a little info about me and my love for all creatures big and small (accept bugs…I’m not a big fan of bugs, haha!) I hope to be able to create some beautiful memories with your pets in the future!